or copy the link
This is a super healthy addition for any party or used as an appetizer or salad! Easy to make and everyone will love!
- Cherry tomatoes
- 1 pack basil leaves for the skewers
- 1 container of fresh buffalo mozzarella cheese balls
- 2 cups packed fresh basil leaves
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan or Pecorino cheese
- Add 2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice. (holds the color and a bit of citrus flavor!)
- Add turkey, tofu, or salami cubes to the skewers. (If you want to make these a little more filling or have a significant other like mine that is a carnivore!!)
- Combine the basil, garlic, and pine nuts, and cheese in a food processor and pulse until coarsely chopped.
- Add 1/2 cup of the oil and process until fully incorporated and smooth (add the lemon juice here, if you choose to).
- Add salt, pepper, and garlic salt to taste.
- Add the lemon juice if you wish!
- If using immediately, add all the remaining oil and pulse until smooth. (You can vary the amount of oil based on preference. I prefer mine to be thicker and less runny!)
- Transfer the pesto to a large serving bowl and mix in the cheese.
- If freezing(great to save and reuse as dip or make into a pasta sauce by adding more olive oil), transfer to an air-tight container and drizzle remaining oil over the top. Freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw and use.
- Place mozzarella balls, fresh basil, and tomatoes on the skewers in a uniform pattern(add the meat if you wish!)
- You repeat this pattern for as many skewers you think necessary for your occasion!
- Season with salt, pepper, and garlic salt to taste.
- Drizzle a touch of extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar(or vinegar of your choosing).
- I like to place the pesto in a bowl so that each person can scoop out the amount they wish to use.
- If you prefer, you can drizzle pesto all over the skewers.